This is actually my setup as well.  I've been using the CD since it
first came out way back when with Charles' distro (I think it was 1.02).

I think the ability to lock the floppy with the sliding tab is
invaluable.  Test, make and save the changes, lock the tab and you can
leave it right in the drive.  Power Failure?  No problem, no action
needed and forget worrying about someone injecting a rootkit or what
have you into system, no way to save it without physical access.

Other than SD cards, do any of the CF/USB sticks offer a write protect
switch?  If so, I haven't seen one.

Tony