Tony wrote:
> This may be prudent, but it may not be reality.  If you were worried
> about resiliency, would you be using old or repurposed hardware to begin
> with?
>
> I agree that CF's or USB sticks are a better choice, but the user base
> seems to be indicating that the floppy isn't dead yet.
>
> Tony
>
> Harry Lachanas wrote:
>> Imagine this scenario,
>> you have LEAF boxes spread all over your country,
>> would you trust floppy disks on your installations even with backups around?
>>
>> Floppy disk devices have movable parts, CFs don't, usb-sticks don't,
>> I personally haven't used any floppies for 4 years now, period.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Harry.

Imagine this scenario, I'm a person who hates to throw working stuff
away. So I have two identical back-up machines ready in the shelf if my
main Hw decides to buy the farm. I have recently also salvaged a 5½
floppy drive just in case I want to go really medieval on this...and yes
I have the floppies for a lifetime. I could always go to the
Pc-superstore and buy a ready system. What's the fun in that?

All releases are tried and if accepted by my "let's see if this works"
method are made to a disk image complete with settings and all needed
drivers but nothing extra for quick recovery. There is always two
identical disks ready for service.

Disk will only be read once a month in average. I usually also pull the
media out after booting since firewall is protected by a UPS so it will
stay up even if there is power outage, same goes for ADSL. Actually
there was a blackout recently and only electronic devices still on in
our neighborhood were my firewall and ADSL and the UPS beeping...creepy.

OK but to the point. Is there a tried and easy method to make a IDE-CF
image based on the disk version I'm now using?

-Marko