I wasn't sure whether to post this to leaf-user or leaf-devel, but I
reckoned that leaf-user has a few more readers. Note that this will
probably only be of interest to advanced users.

For a while I was using Bering-uClibc as a file server, based on the
information in the user's guide for a SAN and NAS solution
( http://leaf.sourceforge.net/doc/bucu-nas.html ).
I run mainly Linux clients and NFS makes for easier configuration on the
client side than CIFS (Samba) would, so I thought I'd try to turn
Bering-uClibc into an NFS server - and at the same time learn about
package development using Buildtool and Buildpacket.

The good news is that I got it working; the bad news is that it required
some kernel modules which are not built by default and - worse still -
it requires a special version of the uClibc library with "full" RPC
support. This special library is bigger and probably less secure than
the standard one (RPC is not a very secure protocol), but that's OK for
a file server on an internal network. It would not be OK for a firewall,
which is why we can't just change the build specification for the
standard uClibc library for Bering-uClibc.

If anybody is interested in trying this out the source code is split
into two directories in the contrib area on sourceforge: one for the
"portmap" RPC port mapper, and one for "nfsutils", the user space NFS
server utilities which support the actual nfsd code which runs as part
of the kernel. See the README files at the following locations, which
include instructions for the uClibc and kernel modifications:

http://leaf.cvs.sourceforge.net/leaf/src/bering-uclibc/contrib/portmap/
http://leaf.cvs.sourceforge.net/leaf/src/bering-uclibc/contrib/nfsutils/

Let me know if you have any problems. I'm assuming there won't be a
great deal of interest, but you never know.

Thanks to Eric Spakman for loading the files into CVS for me.

dMb