Hi! thanks Charles for your reply, but I fear it didn't helped..

the subnet for the roadwarrior I got from here :
http://wiki.openswan.org/index.php/Openswan/ExtrudedSubnetRoadWarrior

But I tried it now your way .. right=%defaultroute and I removed the
rightsubnet

it's also not a shorewall problem, because I stopped it..
And having temporarily opened all interfaces in routestopped

I have altered the drawing/config to be simular to the current
implementation..

so on the roadwarrior it's still stuck at ipsec auto --up road..

some extra info:
using wireshark on eth0 I get this though:
source:192.168.2.2 dest:192.168.2.1 Protocol:ISAKPM Info:Identity
Protection (Main Mode)

and that's all it repeates

When doing ip address show:
on leaf it detects ipsec0, but on the roadwarrior it does not
However also /etc/init.d/ipsec has started there

I hope I'm giving a clear view of the situation..

Grtz,
Tom