I'm thinking syslinux can boot from USB and the Bering distribution does
include an initrd with USB support.

But the whole point of having a floppy bootable system is that you can
write inhibit floppy disks. Therefore, IF someone hacks into your system
he can never make any permanent changes. Regretfully most flash memory
devices out there don't incorporate such a write inhibit switch.

Gordon