Gordon Bos wrote:
> That would be the first thought. Both MMC and the full size SD cards
> have the write inhibit switch. Only problem is that I don't know of any
> card reader that allows booting from the inserted flash memory.
>
> So to us this you'd need one of those IDE to CF adapters and then insert
> a CF to SD adapter. That would make the SD memory act like it's an IDE
> disk. For a stand-alone solution this would probably be the best way to
> do it.
>
> Myself I use a CDRW to boot from and currently still have a floppy drive
> attached to store changes. From time to time I rewrite the CDRW with the
> new config files from the floppydisk. I hardly make any changes anymore
> though and the next change will probably be switching over to PXE boot.
>
> Gordon
Gordon,
I agree that an USB-stick with write-lock switch is the best solution. I
am, however, not so afraid for intrusion.If somebody want to access this
USB stck (for what?) he has to mount something he doesn't know to exist,
guessing the password, all through a firewall. I think it requires a
very dedicated and determined hacker! Moreover, to reach the rest of the
network he needs to guess the ssh-passwords and keys and guess the ports
(I use internally not the standard ssh-ports).
Moreover, on the firewall no sensitive data are present.
I have thought about encrypting all files which contain "sensitive"
(personal) information, but my paranoia doesn't go that far!
I have thought also about the CDRW route but I find it too cumbersome
and the CDR of the system (a 12 year old K8) is already long gone.
Joep