Joep L. Blom wrote:
> Giovanni Franza wrote:
>
>> Some years ago, I did a similar thing.
>> I formatted a usb pen and then copied all on it.
>> Only things to have are usb modules and scsi modules into boot/modules
>> (referenced in /boot/etc/modules) and, then the correct disk name
>> (mailny sda0) into syslinux.cfg. The thing was soo simple that i cannot
>> prepared noting (but there are a little howto in italian at
>> http://leaf.mgeng.com/leaf-on-a-key/LEAF-on-a-key.html - it is in
>> italian bit it contains module list that can be useful - warning: this
>> is for an older bering, but I hope it can of help)
>>
>> HTH
>>
>> Giovanni
>>
> Giovanni, thanks for the reply. It's nice somebody already did it. In
> reflection, I think also that unetbootin is an overkill as Leaf installs
> itself already.
> However, with an old motherboard (as I have) I have to take refuge to
> the trick using a floppy with initrd, ldlinux.sys and linux and use that
> as a bootstrap to load the rest of the packages from an USB stick (until
> my floppydrive crashes!).
So you only need to load corect modules at the boot as for booting from
usb but you only have to put on the floppy syslinux, initrd and a little
more: allt the remaining on the usb device.

> In my case protection (about which Gordon wrote) is not a problem as I
> unmount the usb-stick after the installation: just let it in place.
If somebody can login into the system he can moount the usb, better to
usa an usb with lock-switch (as, for example, a SD cerd into an usb adaptor

> After e.g. a power-out the system starts again as it is a memory only
> system and the floppy (also unmounted after system start) starts as soon
> as the power is back.
> Joep

Regards

Giovanni