On Sat, Dec 18, 2010 at 4:26 PM, Rich Schneck <rschn...@speakeasy.net>wrote:

> I can't wait to be done with floppies.

I've been using a Bering uClibc version of LEAF for a little over a year now
booting from a CD with all of the modules on the CD instead of a floppy
(that was fun) so there are no other media to go kaput. It's great except
that I can't help but think that it's using more power than it should and I
can't update the software without burning a new CD.

For instance, I'd like to add DHCP. I could just add it manually but I power
the system down when not in use so I would lose that config each time and
would have to manually add it over and over. No fun.

A couple months ago, I added an ASUS WL330GE for wireless, which works great
with the USB power adapter. However, I'm seriously considering getting a
Linksys WRT54GL and moving to OpenWRT. Lower power, upgrade from 10 to
100Mbit (woo!), and a much smaller package. The downside is that I would
have a fixed system config :-(

> Anyhow, my hardware is an old Abit BH6 motherboard with P3-500 processor.

I basically have the same - ASUS CUBX-E mobo with a P3-1000 underclocked to
500MHz.

> For some reason this computer hangs at the point where you see Booting the
> kernel. I've tried the i486 and the i686 packages with no success.

Try the -s option to syslinux if that's what you're using.

-s         Install a "safe, slow and stupid" version of syslinux. This
version may work on some very buggy BIOSes on which syslinux would otherwise
fail. If you find a machine on which the -s option is required to make it
boot reliably, please send as much info about your machine as you can, and
include the failure
It's slow and stupid but it works.
Andy