On Thu, 2010-12-23 at 15:52 -0500, Andrew Haninger wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 2:13 PM, Erich Titl <erich.t...@think.ch> wrote:
>
> > So why don't you opt for an ALIX based platform?
> >
> Cost.
>
> I considered a Soekris box, but then thought again when I did an
> (unscientific) energy-savings analysis and concluded that it would take ~2
> years for it to pay off vs using what I have today. Of course, that could
> change if electricity gets wildly expensive.
> I will gladly accept proof that my argument makes no sense, so feel free to
> punch holes in it :-)
>
> Andy
Howdy,
 I just bought a WRT54GL to play with, so I don't think it is a bad
platform.  But, it is pretty limited in memory.   A Soekris box may not
be as expensive as you think.  I'd watch eBay for a used one.  I see
used Soekris boxes for 20 to 30 dollars reasonably often.  Sometimes,
they even come with the cases, but usually not.  I have bought used 4521
units and they worked fine.  I am sure they can fail, but I have 4521
units that have run for years.  I never bought one new.  I had to clean
the ethernet ports on one.  They had put some goo in there to make it
waterproof, I think.  The 4521, which is a pretty low end Soekris has 4
time the ram of a WRT54GL.  A 133 MHz 486 seem a bit better than the 200
MHz MIPS in the WRT, but they are basically in the same class, I would
say.
 I check for used ALIX boxes, too.  I just have not seen any good deals
yet.  I don't know if that means that Soekris sold a lot more or that
ALIX boxes are dearer to their purchasers.
Good luck and Merry Christmas,
Ralph