I’ve also thought about preserving the contents of dnsmasq,leases. Sometimes I
scp that file to another machine before a BuC reboot then scp it back again
(and “svi dnsmasq restart”) afterwards.

It’s not a huge issue to lose the DHCP leases themselves; mostly the pain comes
from DNS not knowing about DHCP-allocated addresses (which dnsmasq takes care
of automagically) after a router reboot, until the leases are renewed.

Would adding a script to /etc/rc0.d/ work as a trigger to save the file - at
least for a planned reboot? If the power dies then there’s not much you can do.
I agree it would be overkill to re-save the file for every lease renewal.

John’s comment about ntp.drift is a good one and there is other ‘runtime state’
that might benefit from being saved - e.g. vnstat traffic statistics.
Arguably those settings are different from ‘static config’.

davidMbrooke