On 26/01/17 14:48, Erich Titl wrote:
> Hi
>
> Am 26.01.2017 um 14:18 schrieb David M Brooke:

>> To Eric’s point from before, using Static Leases (via dhcp-host= in
>> /etc/dnsmasq.conf)
>> ensures a device is given the same IP address consistently, but
>> dnsmasq doesn’t seem
>> to add the host to DNS unless there’s an *active* DHCP lease in effect.
>
> Set a very short lease time for these important devices. If dnsmasq does
> not support this then think about another dhcp daemon and add the leases
> to /etc/hosts automagically. This here makes me feel like dnsmasq's dhcp
> capabilities show some shortcomings, but then.
>
> cheers
>
> Erich
Look at the dnsmasq option (from the manpage):

-K, --dhcp-authoritative
     Should be set when dnsmasq is definitely the only DHCP server on a
network. For DHCPv4, it changes the behaviour from strict RFC compliance
so that DHCP requests on unknown leases from unknown hosts are not
ignored. This allows new hosts to get a lease without a tedious timeout
under all circumstances. It also allows dnsmasq to rebuild its lease
database without each client needing to reacquire a lease, if the
database is lost. For DHCPv6 it sets the priority in replies to 255 (the
maximum) instead of 0 (the minimum).

Maybe this could help?

Cheers,

Bob
--
The Sun is out, the sky is blue, it's time to drive the MR2.