User ddrown on IRC looked into this, and confirmed he also experienced
this issue.

ddrown  ok, ntpd works for me on leaf with one processor, trying it with two
        ddrown  yup, two processors = ntpd crash on leaf
        ddrown  ok, that's very odd
        ddrown  cd /usr/sbin ; ./ntpd -- works
        ddrown   /usr/sbin/ntpd -- segfault
        ddrown  or hm, maybe it's random chance
        ddrown  yup, roughly 75% chance of segfault
        ddrown  must be a race condition in there somewhere
        ddrown  https://gist.github.com/ddrown/15e943b8fe1da398320b0c0518c95554
- I isolated this code out of ntpd and verified it has a race condition
under uclibc pthreads
        ddrown  this looks like a bug in uclibc

Where can I go from here?

- Bob