On Aug 5, 2010, at 10:22 PM, M. Warner Losh wrote:

> Chances are that any divergence between the rotation of the earth and UTC is
> unlikely to be noticed by enough people to stop this from happening, if the
> ITU says this "technical adjustment" needs to be made.

The divergence is a secular effect.  A small effect - perhaps the ITU can fool
some of the people some of the time.  But a cumulative effect -  meaning they
can't fool all of the people all of the time.

> The Astronomers are affected the most, but there's not a lot of them and
> their power isn't huge.

Our power may not be huge - but our cause is just.

Rob
--
“If you call a tail a leg, how many legs has a dog?  Five?  No, calling a tail
a leg don't make it a leg.”  - Abraham Lincoln