On Aug 6, 2010, at 12:00 AM, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> In message <2e851e8c-2b4d-4898-8da5-aa328ec6b...@noao.edu>, Rob Seaman writes:
>
>> Our power may not be huge - but our cause is just.
>
> I don't think anybody doubt that, but so is the case of all the people who
> have to get computerized controls, networks and other technology to work.

This isn't a zero-sum game and you are asserting a false dichotomy.  Few have
more dependence on "computerized controls, networks and other technology" than
astronomers.  Astronomers are disproportionately eager users of many flavors of
both atomic and solar timescales.

It is technically insipid to attempt to pretend that Universal Time is not mean
solar time.  By all means pursue timekeeping reform based on requirements
derived from the real world.  Astronomers on this list have demonstrated
profligate willingness to entertain diverse options.

Rob