On Feb 1, 2011, at 12:05 PM, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> Note that I said "that's merely an artifact of how it is defined.",
> not "The name 'Universal Time' has an unchangeable magic meaning."

And I suppose "Greenwich Mean Time" is completely fair game, too.  And "Temps
Atomique International" might designate a timescale created from an ensemble of
clepsydra.  And "GPS" could provide spatial and temporal coordinates derived
from a System of Guinea Pigs.

Universal Time is a concept predating the ITU whippersnappers.  (Re)define some
other timescale...

...especially since the whole idea appears to be to use UTC as a Nelson's
Bridge to ultimately deprecate TAI.

For precision timekeepers they appear to have remarkably little respect for the
precise meaning of time.

Rob Seaman
National Optical Astronomy Observatory