Tony Finch wrote:

> On Wed, 9 Feb 2011, Rob Seaman wrote:
>>
>> Even if one-a-day is introduced this would be the case.
>
> Er what?! Days won't become 25 hours long until well over a hundred million
> years in the future!

In context my statement was:

        "By comparison, a leap second is introduced by a central authority and
is ignored by microwave ovens and set-top boxes and in general most clocks
worldwide.  Even if one-a-day is introduced this would be the case."

I was discussing one-a-day leap-seconds, that is, when the length-of-day
becomes 86401 SI-seconds.

By comparison, leap-hour-proxies like rubber timezones would originate from no
central authority and could be ignored by no stake-holders for any purposes.

This is also a rhetorical discussion.  The problems resulting from embargoing
leap seconds would start immediately.  Astronomers are just the canaries in the
coal mine.

Rob