> The other downside is that you always need to introduce 2
> transactions, one when you invoice and another one when you get
> paid, but I don't see a way around that...

When using the accrual basis for accounting, that is desirable.  I
have to report & pay taxes for my business activity quarterly, so for
accrual, it is the date of invoice that determines which quarter the
taxes are due.   The date you (ever) get paid is sometime in the
future :)

And for that window of time between invoicing & payment, the amount
will sit in an accounts receivable account for you to report and track
money owing to you.

For annual taxes owing, I use a virtual account and approximate
figures, since tax in my country is bracketed so it is tricky to know
exactly how much tax is owing until you file the return.  When the tax
debt is realised as a result of the return, a transaction occurs
like what Nathan described of Liability -> Expense, and when you pay
it out of an asset account, it's Asset -> Liability.

Regards,

Chris