Sorry Gav, but no...the short version of this to my eyes is "I believe in
Christianity, therefore it is right." (I'd be happy to substitute "religion" for
"Christianity" in that summary)

"Evidence" - is scientific, impirical and fact based - there may well have been
a historical figure called Jesus (son of Mary and Joseph), but there is no
evidence for him being the son of a deity. That does not diminish the validity
of some of the things it is claimed that he said, or the philiosophies of life
he is said to have espoused. That makes him a sound bloke, not the son of any
god.

Similarly a refusal to believe in deities does not mean that life is "grim" -
life is beautiful, wonderful, awe-inspring, awful, confusing, confounding and a
million other things (including grim).

I don't expect or need a reply - we differ, that's all - nor do I want to
continue a "religion war of words" on the list...although I heartily agree with
Dave Brennan, that the diversity of discussion on here, is one of the reasons
that I stay on here (and press delete when not interested) - but I couldn't let
your email pass. Human history is filled with great stories - that is part of
who we are and part of the joy of being human, but evidence to back the claims
of super-human existence, simply does not exist - no more for the bible than it
does for Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table or Aesop's Fables - but we
use them to illustrate "ways of living" or "cautionary tales"...that is fine.