They should definitely go to the people attending the highest number of aways.
When I had a season ticket, I'd be a bit embarrassed if on the odd occasion
(London aways) I thought I was getting a ticket in front of regular away
attendees so would normally go in the home end instead.

I only expected to be able to bag my seat for home cup games, or if going with
a non ST holder mate or bird, be able to bag 2 seats before non ST holders.
Same with Euro games.

In those days, the away card was free if you filled out some paperwork. if you
now have to fork out money (is it £40?) then they really should get first dibs,
even if you have a home ST - there's no value in the £40 otherwise, you are
getting some sort of return/entertainment (in the loosest sense) for your ST
money. ST monies only make up a fraction of the turnover these days anyway? Not
to denigrate those of you who still have them.

Cup games are always a bit different, though. FAC is 25% away allocation,
unless the home club change their mind (as they have?) but we still get 25% of
the receipts.