But there was no option for Smith to stay. ManU offered £7m for him. Under
what circumstances would the management of a failing business have refused
that?

What Smith said was irrelevant. He had no option to stay, even playing for
nothing.

I have a pretty good idea about the deal. What was reported at the  time
was pretty accurate.