 Subject: [LU] Hull
 To: "Leeds List" <leedslist@gn.apc.org>
 Date: Sunday, 6, December, 2015, 9:17 AM

 Wow - we were not expecting that
 result. Pre match I had said to a mate in the   pub that
 even if, by some miracle we won today, and we agreed it
 would take a minor miracle, that it would not mean anything
 and all our problems , on and off the pitch would remain.
 Having said that we won and it was great. The first victory
 my son has seen this season (he missed Cardiff)  and
 overall we deserved it and  we LOVED it.
 Yes, we lived dangerously at times and they missed a sitter
 (from a Snoddy cross) at the end that would have gained them
 a point, but from start to finish we gave it everything and
 all the players gave it their best, and, all things
 considered that is all we can ask for.
 In the  pub (and we were there very early so bear that in
 mind) I did say I would like to see both Adeyemi and
 Bridcutt in front of the back four with Wood up top on his
 own supported by Cook, Mowatt and Dallas  (OK i wanted
 Byram in place of Wooton from the start) so when we took our
 places I had to admit that if it did not work I had no
 suggestions to make things better given that it was the team
 I wanted.
 From the off,and for the full 90 really, Hull showed how
 much better than us they are, and showed us how much we need
 to improve to get to that level. Luckily for us football is
 not just about being the better players etc, and today the
 strong blustery wind made it hard for both teams. They
 passed it around and cut us apart a few times, either the
 wind , a poor final ball or the attacker not quite being
 there meant that we had a few narrow escapes as the ball
 flashed across our 6 yard box with no-one getting the needed
 touch.
 We had a couple of good moves of our own and this game was
 won in a 15minute spell just before half time. a brilliant
 through ball by Cook, showing why he is such a good
 prospect, fed Dallas who had to run onto it and he put a
 great cross in that Wood met well and hammered home. A great
 goal (similar to Huddersfield with Antenuccis goal) I had
 tried to defend Wood pre game but his overall play in recent
 games makes that hard. Today  he took his goal well and was
 a threat throughout and held the ball up and won his
 flick-ons. There is still hope for him despite some fans
 being on his back. Then a moment that we thought would be
 the defining one but in the end counted for nothing - Mowatt
 won the ball and fired a shot that their keeper just stood
 and watched, unlike Cardiff and Hudds this one hit the
 woodwork and bounced to safety. Oh how we could have done
 with a second we thought. Then a corner was played, in a
 practised move, to Cook at the edge of the box and his shot
 was parried straight to Adeyemi who slotted home - 2 up at
 time. Off to rapturous , if slightly disbelieving applause.

 The off for 17 on 17 protest had been a real damp squib with
 only a dozen or so fans leaving their seats - pointless
 waste of time (when they returned there was some argy bargy
 with the stewards) If we are going to protest things it
 needs to be better organised and better supported than this
 Second half we started and stayed on the back foot and when
 they got one back after only 10minutes we feared the worse
 (I predicted 2 -4 at that stage) but we stuck to our task.
 Bridcutt looking like the real deal (he is very small - same
 height as Cook) and made Evans prediction of him ' being the
 best midfielder in the Division' a genuine  belief rather
 than total hyperbole.
 They had a couple of chances that Silvestri saved well - he
 really is a good shot stopper but needs to command his area
 much much better- and Cooper and Bellusci put in last ditch
 tackles to save the points. We continued to threaten a bit,
 albeit on the back foot, and Adeyemi had a chance to wrap it
 all up  but basically bottled it when put through. Murphy,
 Byram and Doukara all came on, mainly to waste time
 (Silvestri got booked for taking too long) as we watched the
 clock tick down slower and slower. Snoddy came on for them
 to good applause an put in one cross that should have
 brought the equaliser but the Hull player headed wide and we
 breathed again.
 The final whistle was met with cheers of delight, relief and
 disbelief. The whole ground rising to greet our heroes.
 Yes they are better than us but we won and that is all that
 counts tonight - a hard fought and hard won but deserved
 victory, one that papers over the cracks but who cares, let
 us all enjoy tonight
 11 heroes out there today (plus the subs)  - especially
 pleased to see Wood have a good game and get a goal and
 Bridcutt was probably our MOM but they all gave it
 everything and they (and we) got the rewards today. Great
 stuff