On Tue, 11 May 2021 at 09:56, <t...@3lv.uk> wrote:

> Mind you, I (personally) don't want European football yet. If we did I
> think we'd suffer in the same way Wolves have done by overachieving a
> bit too soon, without having the ability to bolster the squad in
> preparation for the 'rigours of success'

I agree; missing out on Europe might be a blessing in disguise, just as not
getting promoted the season before last was. *How* much better were we last
season than the one before? And would we have been *this* good in the
Premier League without that extra season of the team coalescing? I can't
see Ayling/Janson/Cooper/Alioski/Phillips/Klich/Harrison/Hernandez/Bamford
taking the fight to Liverpool like we did on day one if they'd have been
promoted earlier. Coming up with the confidence of Champions, winning the
league by ten points instead of the playoffs, overcoming the poor patches
to triumph... that's all invaluable experience, and made this team better.

I think European qualification will be needed at the end of next season if
we want to keep Raphinha, Meslier, Koch and Llorente, though. (Phillips I
think will stay as long as he's getting picked for England.)

Ed.