From: Bill Bulkeley <bulke...@mmnet.com.au>
To: legacy-ornamental-mills@googlegroups.com
Sent: Wed, 29 Feb 2012 09:03:59 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: A message form a new member

its very hard to tell and I may be completely wrong here, but perhaps the
double idler gear is used like back gears on a steel lathe.
on some of the older metal lathes they used a similar set up to obtain very
slow spindle speeds for knurling and screw threading on a legacy slowing the
spindle down
and keeping the same pitch would mean larger spiral pitches. with out
experimenting and seeing it all the first hand and trying different gear
combinations its hard to tell
but perhaps the previous owner was trying to make like a sort of 4x multiplier
gear as we know it.
just an idea I thought I would put to you all