dyna-glide is the go i use it on every thing for lubriaction
http://legacywoodworking.com/products.cfm?product=12
Bill

----- Original Message ----- From: "word7" <wordsmit...@gmail.com>
To: "Legacy Ornamental Mills" <legacy-ornamental-mills@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Friday, February 17, 2012 3:22 PM
Subject: Re: A message form a new member

I did figure out that the chain on the outside was just to speed up
the rpm of headstock to leadscrew. The gears sere not engaged in that
configuration. I removed the chain and adjusted the gears to mesh etc.
There are several gears in boxes and what seems to be "idlers" that
would change rotation of screw to headstock.
I have recently "rounded" a glue up of about 6 inches in diameter and
I have some Magnate bits on order.
I'm not sure of bushings you speak of, is that the bushings in the
headstock?  I'll check tomorrow.
The electric chaindrive is mounted on lower shelf and the chain is
enclosed in a wooden sleeve and the gear is barely noticeable in
geartrain.
I am probably not calling these features by their proper names, hence
I would love any info on this machine.

I made some tapered reeds on a short peice (40" or so) and with a
little handscraping I am pleased with the outcome.
I used a side cutting bit to acomplish this and played with  differing
indexes to change spacing/sizes

Still cannot figure how to index, say a two or three start piece like
I would need to for spiral work. or what the travel vs rpm sets I
need.
The flutes were easy since all I changed each pass was a set index.
I am in North Alabama (Athens) and would love to see a unit in use by
a  knowledgeable operator..
BTW the leadscrew appeared to be a little rusty and I used penetrating
oil to lube "Big mistake"
Sawdust built up on it immediately. I need a new lube lol
Thanks for all your replies. I appreciate all your help.