Curt,
This really does not come to the level of CNC. I , like you, don't
really want to go to the level of computer programming to create
something. Currently, my biggest problem that I have with my machine
is the slop in the router plunge legs. A rig like what I found would
be perfect for the machine we both have (1000ex) IF it wasn't too wide
to fit in the carriage space and if would hold the larger router. Just
from looking at this, the base plate on the router lifter could be cut
down, drilled/tapped for the 4 holes that bolt the plate to the slides
on the carriage and just replace the current aluminum base plate. The
lift controls could be mounted with the x axis motor controls where
you could stop a the turing and raise the router to keep from burning
the wood at the end of a cut such as fluting or some twist/rope
cutting project. The one thing that probably would not be made better
is increasing plunge depth.
I am now unsure about using a smaller router. Not so much for the loss
of power as much as ability of the bearings to handle the abuse. I put
a 2.5" bit in my 1.75hp PC router mounted in my work bench (my router
table) and the bearings sound as though it didn't like it at all.
To any one who cares to comment...
I do have another question. Back in 07 there was alot of discussion
about upgrading the router carriage slides to v-groove wheels/track to
reduce friction. If one did upgrade this feature, would it not reduce
the wear on the split nut due to the big reduction in resistance?
For those newer to this forum like myself, I highly recomend reading
thru the previous years comments/hints/info. It is a treasure trove of
information/ideas. My many thanks to all who have contrubuted.
Dexter