There's a whole new problem, large bits require slower speeds.  If your
router does not have speed control, it's not safe to use large bits.  Both
the Bosch 1617EVS and Dewalt 618 have variable speed and claim to be 2.25
hp.

Two things come to mind on your router.  There should be no rocking of the
router with it in the locked position.  The lock might be loose.  The lock
can be adjusted.  Hold the handle and remove the philips screw on the
handle.  Keep your hand on the lever and with a 1/8 allen wrench turn
counter-clockwise about a 1/2 turn.  Check and see if this improves the lock
and repeat till satisfied.

There are two bushing that could wear out. They can be replaced.
http://www.ereplacementparts.com/porter-cable-7539-type-plunge-router-parts-c-129_1672_12319.html
see part number 114 (Not a recommendation to purchase from this source, only
for reference).  I'm assuming there is no wear on the columns.

The good news about the split nut is it can improved by removing small
portions of material from the bottom as needed.  The screw will wear a
deeper hole into the threaded portion of the split nut.  So far I've been
able to save several split nuts using this method.  The key is prevention.
If you have note deburred your leadscrew with a file and sandpaper and some
oil, now is a good time to do so.  It's much easier to do with a motor :-)
When the day comes that Legacy no longer sells the split nuts, I have the
tooling to create them.