Hello,

We are getting off topic but there are many things that need to be addressed
here.  The response should be broken down when you reply.

I think it's time we look at the amount of slop we are talking about in your
router.  Can you measure the amount of slop? It's hard to say if what you
are seeing is normal or a worn out router.  I've never seen one worn out so
this is a real learning opportunity for us.

Before updating the bushings, one needs to consider the real problem in the
first place.  Using the new style of bushings, I will almost guarantee if
you are destroying split nuts, the bushing are not filed to fit in the
rails.  With the people that own the older style such as yourself, they need
to be adjusted as well.  Dynaglide is a required lubricant when things are
even a slight bit tight.  If your bushing are completely worn out and there
is slop everywhere and there is no longer a need for dynaglide, then it's
time to look into adjusting the bushings or replacing them.

I would not update the bushing on the early machines.  However, the newer
style bushing would benefit from a modification.  I hinted to the
modification earlier last year.  Now, that is not to say the V bearing are
not good.  I did not like the execution of the upgrade but the bearing of
choice will make one heck of a smooth machine.  The bearing are a proven
method used on industrial equipment and lately cnc machines so that is not
the concern.

You might have a point about the bearings in a smaller router.  Considering
the bases are smaller on these routers, I doubt many of them are designed to
work with bits as large as 2.5".  Changing the bearings (there better be two
in there) to better grade bearings is an easy thing to do.  My real question
is how often are you using a bit that is 2.5" or larger?

Reading the old messages and refining and finishing the answers and
challenging the answers is really the only growth potential for this group.
We have talked about some really odd things.  Some are dreams, others just
need more time to hone, and others are worth their weight in gold.  In the
past the original owner and myself have highlighted some of the topics.
Those can be seen on the ornamentalmills site.  However, it's far from
complete.