Do you have a z-axis?

You need steppers and drivers, a power supply, software to drive the steppers,
a cad program, a cam program or Rich's Wizards.  You will also need to be able
to fabricate brackets to hold the motors and switches.

Biggest problems you face with using the stock setup.  Excess backlash from the
leadscrew and split nut and slow rapid speeds.  I've never heard anyone say
what their rapid is on the standard machine but I would go rack and pinion
drive.

Member "chainlink" showed a conversion of his machine using a pretty simple
wood bracket.  Search the google group for the details.  It would be good to
hear if he continued using this machine and what he would do differently today.

Curt is right about it not being the best bang for the buck but I can
understand not being able to afford a budget of $9000 plus but the reality is
you are going to spend $1500-$5000 for something that might only be ok in
performance.

Finally, go to cnczone.com and read all that you can and decide if DIY CNC is
for you.  If you make a go at the conversion, please share your results and the
build as you go along.