Your right Mike,

I suppose I should clarify the term "labeled" in reference to the gears.
Legacy gave them a letter designation that corresponds with their chart.  How
easy would it have been to just say use the 2" or 3" pitch gear with the pitch
engraved or stamped into the gear.  Then when you go to use your other than
standard gear sets you could easily do the math to know your pitch.

-Tim