Hey Curt I did not shim the carriage but the rail on the lead screw side .
The rail was a little twisty, on my 1200 the plastic slide that is screwed
to the carriage sort of looks like a top hat well the rim of the hat would
get sticky in the twisty rail. The red short pieces that are between the
two outer rails have a nub in the center to locate them on the rails that
they support I put an .008" shim on one side to straighten the rail out it
made a huge difference. I never understood from the beginning why the
machine needed that much lubrication when the plastic slides were made from
that oil impregnated slippery stuff to begin with at least for me my
dyna-glyde days are over. I hope my explaination makes sense I  finally
 can put pictures on the internet but in this case there is no good way to
do it bob