  From: mostlyc...@yahoo.com
  To: legacy-ornamental-mills@googlegroups.com
  Cc: rhp...@googlemail.com
  Sent: Thursday, January 09, 2014 6:14 PM
  Subject: Re: New Evolution

  Hi Roger,

  Thanx to you (and Andy) that worked. although it still turns pretty hard once
I tighten the gear train back up. If I just let it sit in my hand it turns with
ease, if I just barely tighten the screw it turns OK, and then it slips out of
the gear, if I tighten it just enough  to hold it, it turns much harder.  Guess
I can live with that as tapering won't be an everyday chore. 2 other things
that are problematic, the plastic block that the gear mechanism sets into (the
part the screw threads into) has already stripped.  Fortunately, there is a
flip side with a fresh set of threads in it (I have been really gentle on
tightening, so I think they should look into a metal thread insert).  Secondly,
I have a slew of Nova Chucks and looked forward to inserting one of them (1x8)
onto the headstock  that was made for woodworking chucks. Just one little
problem, most chucks are 4in diameter and by the time you screw them on, you
can't release the gear lock on the Evo (little pin on the spring for locking
gear to do things like flutes).  You can't get the chuck on while the pin is
disengaged and you can't get it out of the gear plate once the chuck is on. I
have a couplle of the old Nova Scroll chucks (15 yrs old) and they have a
stepped back to them that just clears this problem by about 1/8 in.
Unfortunately I can't find a 1x8 insert for them as they are to old. I checked
with some other chuck (oneWay) and they are all 4 in or larger.  I can't
believe someone at Legacy didn't think this out better!  So now I have a
machine that doesn't have a turntable, doesn't have a follower, doesn't have a
Design Kit available, doesn't do any of the (fancy) projects shown in videos,
and now can't screw a standard chuck on the head stock (which was an advertised
feature in the video).  No wonder some the folks on this forum get upset.

  Sorry for venting (not your fault),
  Dan