That gear is what got me more interested in what's happening on that machine!
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: 'joe biunno' via Legacy Ornamental Mills
  To: legacy-ornamental-mills@googlegroups.com
  Sent: Monday, May 12, 2014 3:54 PM
  Subject: Re: time for a question or two......

  tim...thanks for the responses...you always make good points...and i think i
have learned a lot more from this group of "weekend warriors" then i have given
back...so i'll say thanks to all!...i'll have to post additional photos in the
morning though...not currently in the shop...but i will point out that i was
never happy with the killinger set up...it has a spider gear configuration
because it has to make a 90 degree turn(just like the rear end on a car)...and
between initial gear slop and wear on the gears( with no way to adjust it as it
wears), the back lash is quite a bit...like i said, almost 45 degrees!...now,
once you begin and you take up the slop, all is ok...at least 90% of the
time...occasionally in the middle of doing a 12 cut piece, the back lash can
come up and ruin a piece...luckily, it does not happen often...the legacy is so
much better...for historical reference, i made this 13 ft. beast back in the
late 80's/early 90's...i did talk to andy about making a custom lengthened
machine at that time but the price was quite a bit...i seem to remember the
number being $15,000.00...the 48" killinger was about 450.00 so i bought three
of them and cut, welded and machined a rube goldberg monster...it got the job
done but it was a love making process to get it done with any degree of
accuracy...fell out of touch with the legacy equipment soon thereafter and
almost 25 years later got tired of fixing frankenstein... so i began to work on
the legacy project...pictures will follow of everything you'll need to try to
set up this type of a drive on the legacy...sounds interesting!