Hi Brandon,

You have a cool job! Your statement about over engineering was pretty funny.
There's always a huge gap of knowledge between engineers and machinists.
I've had the life experience to have both in my toolbox.  Now when I design
something I step back and look at it from the machining side more.  After
all, it needs to be made in the real world.  I have seen so many examples of
engineers that are fresh out of college that specify tiny radii on objects
that are buried in the bottom of molds that they don't under stand why it
takes 16 hours to cut out of an aluminum block when a standard larger radii
is normally called for.  But I digress.

What pitch of screw are you thinking?  Have you gotten that far?  I missed
if you where going to avoid a plunging operation with your new axis.

I understood the direction you are going with the tongue and groove.  Two
thoughts come to mind.  Plywood shearing and getting two sets of tongue and
groove to seat at the same time might be difficult.  A single dado with
steel keystock or even uhmw might work better if you are going this route.

Is this assembly going to be facing the operator, or facing the headstock?
Consider where the locking knob is going to be for ease of use.

I think you have something interesting going on, don't let me stop you from
building or designing this!  I'm just tossing out some food for thought.
I'd like to see other get in on this conversation.

From: "Brandon Khoury" <blkhou...@gmail.com>

With all that being said,  I have been known to over engineer from time to
time.  That may have roots in my chosen profession of limb prosthetics.

Brandon