From: legacy-ornamental-mills@googlegroups.com
[mailto:legacy-ornamental-mills@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Brandon Khoury
Sent: Sunday, 17 August 2014 8:41 AM
To: legacy-ornamental-mills@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: Shop made Z-axis

I haven't considered the pitch of the lead screw. Ideally, it would be one of
Legacy's 1/4" per revolution. However, it will likely be whatever I can find at
a local hardware store.

I keep going back and forth on the orientation of the plates.  When I did the
sketchup,  I invisioned the router mounts facing the user on the front side of
the mill. But,  if I decide to incorporate a tilting mechanism  I would have
the mounts facing the headstock.  In either case,  I think the locking know
will be easily accessible.

As far as plunging the router,  I typically set the cutting depth off to the
side, then crank in along the y axis.  I have very rarely plunged down into the
woods directly.  I can only think of a hollowed spiral that have down that on.
I have seen some videos from Legacy in which Tracy uses the lead screws to drop
the bit down into the wood.  So,  I think the same function would exist,  but
it would be a bit slower than tradition plunging. Ideally,  the lead screw
could be disengaged,  like using a split nut,  to allow faster setup.  Then
re-enable to set a more precise depth. Not sire how to make that happen.  Not
really sure if it is even necessary.

Brandon

-----
No virus found in this message.