Here is a link to a shop made router lift. Turn it over and and it could be
a Z axis. At least some of the mechanics could be part of a
Z axis design.
http://www.americanwoodworker.com/blogs/projects/archive/2009/04/21/the-aw-shop-made-router-lift.aspx

A good Z axis cannot have any flex or give which requires rigid
constrution, solid material and tight tolerances in all directions along
with easy up and down operation and a
solid stop mechanism to hold a setting without slipping. All of this is
extra critical on CNC machines as the forces are mutiplied. They usuallly
are made of steel or aluminum and have linear bearings.
All of ths is why a pre-built z axis is so expensive. BTW, I just noticed
that Amazon is selling Chinese made linear bearings at good prices.

Stan Shuford
s...@shuford.com