With each index plate comes the ability to evenly space all integer
divisors (no remainder) of the number of positions.

So, a 36-hole plate allows divisions 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 9, 12, 18, and 36.
A 40-hole plate allows 1, 2, 4, 5, 8, 10, 20, and 40.

Some of the divisions are available on multiple plates - in the case of
this pair, 1, 2 and 4.
Many are unique to one plate.

Say you wanted to mill slots around the bottom of a coat-rack post to hold
5 legs evenly spaced.
You could do that with the 40-hole plate, but not he 36-hole one.

If you wanted to do a flat twisted column, neither of these plates will
suffice - you'd need a plate with the number of holes being a multiple of
7: 7, 14, 21, 35, 49, etc.

- John