CD-Rs do NOT have such reliability. The longest average life
you could expect out of a standard CD-R nowadays would be
two years, PROVIDED you kept it under truly ideal conditions,
which most of us have no hope achieving.
Good luck finding archival CD-Rs. I haven't seen any at all for
over two years, and the dyes in all current CD-Rs are poor.

The ONLY reliable long term storage is still printed paper,
again assuming quality materials and storage.

If you use CD-R backups, apart from doing them regularly,
you need to check them immediately after burning, and in
a DIFFERENT CD drive. This means you MUST have at least
TWO CD drives in your computer (easy--CD burners are
low cost). Nowadays make that one DVD burner (also burns
CDs) and one DVD reader (also reads and maybe burns CDs).
As soon as you cannot easily read CDs you have burnt,
REPLACE the burner with a new one. Burners are cheap--
treat them as disposable the instant they play up.
Peter
Peter Haughton         [EMAIL PROTECTED]