Thanks for the idea. I thought of AKAs as well .... but I never will type more than 10000 AKAs, or that twice and more ......!!! (I always thought I have a computer and a database to avoid typing names more than once!)

Thank you anyway.

Eva

----- Original Message ----- From: "RICHARD SCHULTHIES" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com>
Sent: Tuesday, August 08, 2006 2:03 AM
Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] Surname Prefixes - where to put?

I have used the AKA for this purpose. It is not
perfect, but each person is alphabetically under Steve
/von der Moller, Steve von / der Moller, and Steve von
der /Moller. The problem is that adding one extra
field in the name won't help. When I used PAF, it had
a middle name field which I used for this purpose, but
it mucked up my Norwegian Farm names from other
branches of the family. And Spanish naming systems
(using either mother's or father's surname, or both)
can also be messy
Rich.

--- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Henry, Gene, Bert, thank you all for info and trying
help.

Using prefix won't work because the name would be
shown:
[EhefPrefix][Vorname][Nachname] = von der Barbara
Moller.

Using suffix (as I do - as the only possible way for
me) the name ist shown:
[Vorname]  [Nachname] [EhefSuffix] =  Barbara
Moller, von der
Only in Report Titles I am able to rearrange the
place of the suffix. So
it's correct: [Vorname] [EhefSuffix] [Nachname] =
Barbara von der Moller.

Using the surname field is fatal: In the index the
surnames start with the
prefix and not the surname. We have a lot of large
families which prefix is
different. e.g. Moller, von Moller, Baron von
Moller (daugther Baronesse
von Moller), Graf von Moller (daugther Comtesse or
Graefin von Moller) - all
ONE family. When I don't know what kind of prefix
the person has, I have to
look at: "M, v, B, and G" Therefore I use the
suffix, so I find all at "M".
I know there is a seach field but that's too
uncomfortable, I just want to
have a glance at the index and find all "M".

The greatest problem is when I get gedcom files from
others to integrate in
my file. The one use "all in surname", the other use
"suffixes" and so on.
It would be so helpful to have ONE program with
surname prefixes .... and
the option to change automatically suffix into
prefix surnames or at all
automatic changes from one field into another!!!
---- I suppose that's just
a dream!!!

Anyway maybe there is a program anywhere in the
world that is able to do
those unbelievable things??

Have a nice day everybody

Eva