Alastair
That preview is identical to having Screen / Printer chosen,
and then clicking on Preview.

You are looking at the RTF creation as a fixed item. It is
entirely flexible AND DEPENDS on settings in whatever
word processor you are using to open/view/edit it.

The RTF is NOT missing the title page.
The RTF IS missing the contents and index BECAUSE you
use your word processor to automatically generate those
after you have made all your edits and changes. (You can
generate them as many times as you like during the editing
process, but obviously do it also after all the edits so it
accurately reflects the page numbers.) You should investigate
how to generate these within your word processor's help
files.

If your photos are moving from their positions as shown in
the Legacy generated PDF file, then it is because your
word processor is moving them to its default positions.
Look at the graphics default options in your word processor
to correct this. Note that many word processors will not
allow you to access such settings, and you will have to
move every photo individually. Alternatively, start using
a word processor that WILL allow you to change the
settings.

I have had no problems in using the RTF output to get
whatever output I desire (except for having to overcome
occasional really annoying bugs in the Legacy output).
I hope you can too.
If I haven't covered all your points, please advise...

Peter