Before my airplane takes off, let me share a few thoughts....

First, to respond to how to record a census. I do add census information to
an event, although a census is more of a source. However, because that
census event has been entered, it will appear on the chronology showing me a
date and a place where a person lived. If I called the event "Residence"
instead, that would probably work okay too, but, because it has the term of
"census", I can easily see in the person's chronology if I have identified
him in the census or not. Not true with the residence event.

I also personally enter the transcription of the census in more than one
place: in the census event's notes and in the detail text of the source.
While this may seem like I'm duplicating my efforts, the value of this comes
when, in the future, I want to print a report that includes transcriptions
as part of the source detail. If I had only entered this information in the
event's notes, I would have to reenter it into the source. And vice-versa.
So by copying/pasting the information in more than one place, I have the
flexibility I need in the future.

The video on sources, the data in the sample file, and the source examples
at the tips site provide information to 1) help you standardize the data
entry of sources and 2) provide ideas for flexibility. Yes, we are actively
engaged in improving the ease of working with sources. As a professional
researcher myself, I need to be able to enter information quickly but also
have flexibility and standardization. We (Millennia) are committed to
achieving this.

The purpose for which I published the templates at
http://www.legacyfamilytree.com/tipsSourceSamples.asp was to help us attain
consistency. I've seen the same source entered as:

- 1850 Pennsylvania census
- Census - Pennsylvania 1850
- Pennsylvania 1850 census
- ... and so on