Yes, but are we who document correctly supposed to
monitor what our cousins do with our informarion. I do
check on what comes from these folks, but after they
have gotten stuff from me I am powerless to stop
errors. I have one instance where I had included on
some info, that there was NO Proof, and there were 3
possible fathers, and six months later, I recieved the
data from him through a third party, where birth
records were cited for New England Towns that had no
records in that time frame, and combined the 3 names
into one person, using me as the source.
Rich

--- "Paul C. Abell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Too many times, when second hand information is
> passed on such as onto the
> web sites, the original notes listing foster
> children as such, are lost and
> others don't know that.  I have no problem listing
> foster children as
> family, because they are loved in the same manner.
> However, too many people
> new to genealogy and unfamiliar with historical
> standards fail to make the
> necessary notations.  I have seen it happen too many
> times.  My
> gr-gr-grandfather had an uncle.  Someone "hand
> copied"  the family bible and
> included his name.  The majority of cousins,
> including to the 3rd cousins,
> think it came out of the bible.  They didn't realize
> it was a hand copy
> before copy machines.  They thought the copy was
> made from the bible by a
> copy machine.  However, when I actually saw the
> original bible, his name was
> not in it.  My point is that someone wanted him
> included in that family when
> he was not part of that family.  Therefore, the
> integrity of the majority of
> research was compromised when cousins thought they
> had a link going back
> several centuries....into the 12th century to be
> exact.  That is also what
> they hoped.  So, when the original did not list him
> as a child, there was a
> big uproar in the family and it was all caused by a
> lack of integrity and
> not following the age old standards as passed down
> to many of us that
> learned from the best.

=== message truncated ===

*** Give the gift of Legacy for the holidays! Order online at
http://legacyfamilytree.com/Redirect/Store-Legacy.asp or call 1-800-753-3453.
***