To: <LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com>
Sent: Friday, December 01, 2006 4:41 PM
Subject: Re: Fw: [LegacyUG] Foster children

I heard back from teh people I contacted at the NGS, TAG, and NEHGS, and all said that as far as they know no such rules exist, and the editor of National Genealogical Society Quarterly wanted my source of any information that the rules we've been debating here exist.

He said that in reality, none of the genealogical software currently available conforms to genealogical society standards, and one place they particularly fall short is in allowing for family complexity, such as step children, foster children, and adopted children.

He recommended Numbering Your Genealogy: Basic Systems, Complex Families, and International Kin (Arlington, Va.,: National Genealogical Society, 1999), a publication that every serious genealogist should have. The second chapter addresses step relationships, adoptions, and similar complexities. It is based on a article that appeared in NGSQ about a decade ago.

*** Give the gift of Legacy for the holidays! Order online at
http://legacyfamilytree.com/Redirect/Store-Legacy.asp or call 1-800-753-3453.
***