I thank both Kathy and Cathy - I'm responding to both their explanations for me with this
one submission.

I want the information to print on my reports. I use them as working drafts to check for accuracy and to be sure I've got the correct spouse linked to her/his correct spouse
and have not skipped anyone.
(Some people had a habit of reusing the same given name for several generations and then married women with the same name as their mother or g-mother - then had daughters using that same name - it's a struggle to keep everyone in their own place - especially when siblings used that name for their children - some of whom led to cousin marriages ... Oy - I often wish Social Security numbers were used starting in 1620.)

I also want to reserve the use of double brackets for when I do need to send out copies to others and want to keep some info private. That is what it is for. I had
not know previously that such a feature existed.

I also understand that I can check the 'ignore illegal characters' to eliminate the
message in Potential Problems report.  I want the assurance that this report
is clean. It is a welcome check for typos, etc. I have caught more than one mis-entry with this useful tool. I do not want to negate its usefulness by overriding it for this check. If I use the ignore button, I won't know if I have made a true error (oxymoron I suppose, like perfect mistake) - AND clicking this box for 129 individuals is
not only a workaround - it's a time-consuming workaround.   Not for me.
I'll take all the time I need to do it rightl, but not for a cobble. I've been tasked with all the family records going back to letters, photos, diaries, etc. from 1850s
and all the cousins, etc.  deserve error-free reports.

(Fortunately my mother started record books in 1940 with names, marriages, b d, etc. and visited court houses, cemeteries, libraries and collected newspaper obits, etc. to verify sources against her correspondence with the principals - others should be so blessed to have a life's work to start from. She is pleased that I have been able to extend lines which were mysteries to her and to find confirmations of what we'd always suspected were 'fraudulent' lines back to the "Doomsday Book." The product of wishful thinking and use of inconsistent interpretations. Amazing how some people cling to the cachet of connection to Royalty - I'm happy to have seven Rev. War soldiers who overturned the notion of rule by inherent
Divine Right - a problem alas which still plagues much of earth.)

I do appreciate the info that there appears to be no standard suggested at
RootsWeb.    I think I've answered my core question - there *is* no
generally accepted standard way of including and indicating null information
on names.   So I will use something which will be clear to any reader - and
to me - that a person exists in the tree, but we do not know her natal surname.
Patriarchy bites us again.   These days most of my female peers keep
their surnames when married - albeit their paternal line name. Most of my lines
terminate on the female side before the male side because of this identity
cheat that boys have perpetrated on girls.  (At least you can vote now.)
These are some of the ways we males overcame our chromosome deficiciency
and shorter life spans. (Pockets in clothing are another secret gimmick. Inventing male dieties rather than the obvious life givers being female is another powerful scam.)

"Unknown" sounds best to me.   But first I'll check the on-line phone books
to see if any family name actually exists with this spelling.

There are nice people on this mailing list - thank you for your patience and
forbearance.    I've learned what I've needed for this issue.

Wm. Hathaway

----- Original Message ----- From: "Kathy Shiell-Stokes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>