Frankly I will not endeavor to defend the standard ahnentafel nor the library cross referencing systems that have survived virtually all options for many decades.

I am not a professional genealogist, but I have noticed that the more we try to merge family lines into one file the more difficulties we create for ourselves in organizing the data. For sure it is much easier to merge family lines than separate them and for sure merging family lines will deeply challenge organizing the data.

I do not see how to avoid the choice of either cross-referencing or duplicating when we have one group of people (such as in a group photo or in a census family).

My personally chosen method is to create separate pedigree lines for each grandparent surname and use the same ahnentafel system for each. This would appear somewhat like the soundex pattern with each surname preceding systematic numbering. This pattern can be extended to as many surname lines as you pick, but I can not handle documentation tasks for more than four families much farther than about five generations. Good luck to those who think that they can.

The major strength of the ahnentafel organization is that every one not only has a unique number, but that number simultaneously identifies the family relationship of the preferred direct family line. Those not in that direct line with ahnentafel identification can simply continue using the RIN/MRIN system that has basis only for the random entry sequence.

Incidentally, if we add a sibling who belonged inside a chronological order, the only ahnentafel numbers that need to be re-sorted and renumbered are those of that one family (no big task).

As someone remarked, no one is obligated to use any organizational system and folks are entitled to keep their data in piles instead of files. I merely have watched the ahnentafel system work much smoother than other options I have observed and decided to share the idea in case folks want to analyze or test the comparisons.

If anyone wants to discuss this with me further, please contact me directly as I really do not want to clutter this message board with perpetual clarifications or debate on this one issue.

Respectfully,

Loran Ralph Braught
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
(812) 535-3618
8380 N. Crestwood Pl
West Terre Haute, IN 47885

Researching mostly Braught/Braucht, Bruner, Ruggles, Riley

*** Give the gift of Legacy for the holidays! Order online at
http://legacyfamilytree.com/Redirect/Store-Legacy.asp or call 1-800-753-3453.
***

  • Re: [LegacyUG]... Loran Braught
    • Re: [Lega... Sue Eggett
    • Re: [Lega... jean van horn
      • RE: [... Olds-Wills-Anderson-Simonson-Hodges-Harris-Liikala-Jukkara-
        • [... Connie
          • ... Sherry/Support
            • ... Olds-Wills-Anderson-Simonson Hodges-Harris-Liikala-Jukkara
        • R... jean van horn
          • ... Olds-Wills-Anderson-Simonson Hodges-Harris-Liikala-Jukkara