Frank is right.  Browse the history of this group and you will see many
threads with ideas and opinions on sourcing.  What matters most (unless
you do this professionally) is that it works to tell you what you want it
to.

That said, the sooner you reach your own personal best method, the less
you will have to fix when you get there.  Legacy lets you use many
possible ways of doing it, and if you are not consistent you will get
confused as your data base gets bigger.

I started out keeping all sources for a fact and I still like to do it
that way.  BUT - That can make reports look weird (6 footnoted sources for
a date), and as you go back in time it can lead to a lot of work when you
find a better source with different info.  For example, in my family some
chart-makers in my grandparent's generation used baptism dates for birth
dates that got used in other references that are also sources for me (esp
diaries).  So when I find an original birth or baptism record that tells
me the correct birth date and can see what happened, I have to do a lot of
work to find all the references sources, annotate each of them, use notes
(I use Research notes) to explain in the person's record, etc.  On the
other hand, if I had deleted the reference any of the sources I wouldn't
know to put a note on the source master record for the chart (because if
they did in once...) and others.

Cary
[EMAIL PROTECTED]