Jack Earnshaw wrote
Do we have to have such texts at the end of emails? Not all of us have your beliefs, or any beliefs

It is very common for people to include a "sig line" with their posts and e-mails. I do it myself in most e-mails and messages (but not within this particular list) and I see no harm in it.

The fact that you - or anyone else - do not share the OP's belief is neither here nor there. He/she is just expressing something about themselves. One of my most-used sig lines is a quote from Beau Brummell in which he says he likes the mornings well aired before he gets up. Would you object to me using that because *you* are an early-riser?
--
Jenny M Benson