Thanks for the suggestions,everyone.  I hate to be a burden.  I am computer
literate in many ways but there are many things about the  technology that I
haven't learned or can't keep up with, it seems.  I can't set up my own
harddrive for instance, as Elaine suggested.  I'm new at working
with Gedcom that  Robert suggested.  From Ancestry, I've been either writing
info by hand or copying and pasting into a Word Perfect document, then
pasting it onto the Legacy Research page of the family file, so I don't lose
the information.  It doesn't work to copy and paste directly from Ancestry
(census, for instance.).  Is that what you mean when you work with the
material, Robert?  Then after you look it over, etc., are you able to import
it right into the family file without a lot of copying and pasting?

In trying to set up Legacy on the new Vista, I was on the phone with
support.  The young man said "everyone" in the office  had wiped Vista off
their harddrives and installed XP.  He admitted he was dumbfounded why I
could not get Legacy installed with the web, however, and there was only one
person in the office that knew how to work with Vista.  She was gone for the
day.  I did click around and finally installed it with blank forms from the
web.

Karima, I wonder if the difference is your Vista Home Program.  What is
FTM?  When I got Legacy installed,  the family data did not transfer.   Is
there something I'm not doing right?
Donna