To: <LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com>
Sent: Saturday, September 15, 2007 3:09 PM
Subject: [LegacyUG] file locations was: WARNING to everyone buying a new computer!

I've stored all data under mydocs for years, keeping them separate so it's easy to back up all of mydocs. Is there a reason to store data in the programs folder?

Dawn

Robert P wrote:

Actually, an even better way to structure the data directories would be:
C:\WINPROG\LEGACY\DATA\TREES
C:\WINPROG\LEGACY\DATA\PICTURES
C:\WINPROG\LEGACY\DATA\SOUNDS
C:\WINPROG\LEGACY\DATA\VIDEOS
(note that I put all the user data into separate folders UNDER the DATA folder.) Why? This way if you copy the C:\WINPROG\LEGACY\DATA folder and all its sub-folders, you are getting everything. You don't have to worry about remembering where the other folders are and remembering to include them.

Or, if you have multiple trees and want to make copying/sharing easier:
C:\WINPROG\LEGACY\DATA\SMITH\TREES
C:\WINPROG\LEGACY\DATA\SMITH\PICTURES
C:\WINPROG\LEGACY\DATA\SMITH\SOUNDS
C:\WINPROG\LEGACY\DATA\SMITH\VIDEOS
and
C:\WINPROG\LEGACY\DATA\JONES\TREES
C:\WINPROG\LEGACY\DATA\JONES\PICTURES
C:\WINPROG\LEGACY\DATA\JONES\SOUNDS
C:\WINPROG\LEGACY\DATA\JONES\VIDEOS
and
C:\WINPROG\LEGACY\DATA\ANDERSON\TREES
C:\WINPROG\LEGACY\DATA\ANDERSON\PICTURES
C:\WINPROG\LEGACY\DATA\ANDERSON\SOUNDS
C:\WINPROG\LEGACY\DATA\ANDERSON\VIDEOS
and etc

As a side note - I COPY all pictures/videos/etc that I'm gonna use in Legacy into these directories BEFORE I attach them to people/events. That means I use more disk space (the original picture someplace else on my drive, and again in the Legacy directories), but it sure makes Legacy maintenance and sharing easier. Also means that if I move the original someplace else, I don't lose the Legacy link to it 'cause Legacy isn't pointing to the original!

Bob

----- Original Message ----- From: "Robert P" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>