I have been running Legacy 6 on a MS Visa Ultimate version with no probelms
for several months.

I think the big issue for Vista is the closer security features that MS has
implemented - MS wants to install all programs under the C:\Program Files\
directory so it can maintain control / access in a tighter fashion than in
XP.

I have always installed Legacy in a directory as follows:
C:\Legacyx\
where "x" is the version number -->  C:\Legacy6\

In MS Vista, I did the same install in C:\Legacy6\
and have had no problems at all.

If Legacy get installed down in the C:\Program Files\ area of Vista, then
there are certainly issues with updates in terms of authorizations and
access to the files.

Install Legacy in its own directory and you will be fine using Vista.

Chap

On 9/15/07, Robert P <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Check the Legacy site.  I believe I recall them saying that Legacy may not
> work if it is installed in PROGRAM FILES on Vista.  Or maybe it was just
> if
> the data was there.  This is especially true if you have multiple
> identities
> on the computer - what you see in Legacy the others that log on to your PC
> won't be able to see if you use the default PROGRAM FILES location.
>
> The solution:
> Install legacy in a different directory.  I don't have Legacy installed on
> our Vista machine, but on the other PCs I installed it into a folder
> called:
> C:\WINPROG
> (A habit I picked up years ago - long story - I don't install all programs
> there, but Legacy is one I do.  Not because of any problems of Legacy,
> just
> an old habit.)
> This way the user authentication (ie: Vista's security) doesn't come into
> play because this is not a standard folder that Windows "protects".
>
> I believe I also remember seeing that you need the UAC turned on (user
> access control??) in Vista for Legacy to work, but I may be wrong.
>
> So - try de-installing Legacy, re-install it under C:\WINPROG\LEGACY, and
> then make sure you copy your old data to the C:\WINPROG\LEGACY\DATA
> folder.
> Then the first time you start up Legacy, do this:
> OPTIONS, CUSTOMIZE, LOCATIONS tab - check where Legacy is pointing and
> change them so they all go to C:\WINPROG\LEGACY\xxxx For example:
> C:\WINPROG\LEGACY\DATA
> C:\WINPROG\LEGACY\PICTURES
> C:\WINPROG\LEGACY\SOUNDS
> C:\WINPROG\LEGACY\VIDEOS
> Probably even wise if the TEMP file is:
> C:\WINPROG\LEGACY\TEMP (make sure each folder actually exists!
> Then do a FILE OPEN and load your datafile from C:\WINPROG\LEGACY\DATA
> (Note that you do not need to make these folders all uppercase.  Just be
> sure you are consistent in their actual folder name upper/lower case and
> in
> what you tell Legacy.  If you use Legacy's CHANGE feature, it should match
> the folder name with the actual upper/lower case.)
>
> Might also want to check their web site about being in ADMIN mode during
> the
> install.  Don't remember if this was a requirement or not, but it is for
> lots of programs.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Bob

Leon Chapman