Hi Wally,

Welcome to the discussion.

I think you'll find the best way to combine your Gedcoms is to import each into Legacy and use Legacy's Merge function to find and merge the duplicates. Merging is one of the strengths of the Legacy program.

If you know there are whole branches that are duplicated in entirety, then you could import each to a separate Legacy file and remove that branch from one of the files and then import that Legacy file into the other before merging - but generally even if the people are duplicated, you'll find they have different information about them, even if the differences turn out to be typos.

Another reason to start off with a separate Legacy file for each Gedcom is that it can be easier to clean up a file and make Locations etc consistent using the Master Lists before merging. Also I'd be making sure every piece of information in each file was sourced with the origin of the Gedcom. If the gedcoms include sources, I'd also edit each Master Source to show that it was the source that came with the Gedcom. eg: If the source were 1881 Census then I'd alter it to say: Joe Bloggs from the 1881 Census.
They're not your sources until you check them for yourself.

Cathy